What is the 60-Hour DV/SV Advocate Training?
The 60-Hour Domestic/Sexual Violence Advocate training gives basic knowledge from which to build expertise and experience of options available to individuals who experience domestic abuse, understanding of the dynamics of domestic abuse, and a philosophy of empowering survivors. The goals on the training include understanding the dynamics of domestic violence, becoming familiar with the resources and procedures, and developing a realistic attitude towards helping those affected. This is achieved through lectures, on-line course modules, films, group activities and Q&A. Safe+Sound Somerset offers the training two times a year in the Spring and Fall.
- Introduction: The History of Domestic Violence and Safe+Sound Somerset
- Victims and Survivors: Ways People Respond to Abuse
- Understanding People Who Abuse
- Legal Advocacy and Domestic Violence Response Teams
- Substance Abuse and Domestic Abuse
- Cultural Competence
- Trauma & Recovery
- Children and Teens
- Communication Skills for Empowerment
- Values and Ethics: Confidentiality
- Crisis Intervention and Advocacy
- Volunteer Opportunities